If you’re interested in facility management services, it’s important not to go in blind. You’ll get better services and you’ll be able to capitalize on the services that you do choose when you know exactly what functions facility management can serve, and exactly why facility management services are important. A little research now can help you make the most of your facility management service experience for years into the future.
What Is Facility Management?
If you asked a room full of people what facility management is, you probably wouldn’t get very many confident responses. But while the term itself might be unfamiliar, almost everyone is familiar with the basics of facility management services, whether they know it or not.
In essence, a facility management professional is someone who smoothly coordinates the needs of individual employees with available support services and the abilities of the physical location itself (also known as the facility!). Good facility management services will keep a workplace running smoothly, often through a combination of personal and behind-the-scenes efforts.
The Importance of Facility Management
Improper management can derail not only individual projects but can put your entire business at risk. Facility management matters because it’s constantly at work behind the scenes, taking care of small, critical management details so you and your team can focus on the work you care about.
Your facility management service should improve the physical health and safety of your workplace, increase the lifecycle of your assets and resources, reduce your costs, and make it easy for your team, employees, and everyone else involved in your business to adhere to regulations. Without facility management services, you’re putting your team through unnecessary work and missing out on a wide range of benefits, from saved money to improved technology.
The Function of Facility Management
The beauty of facility management services is their diversity. You can find a wide range of different functions depending on which management service you hire, but these are some of the essential functions of facility management services:
- Facilities management. A big part of good facilities management is about physical upkeep. Your service should make it easy to manage, clean, and regulate your physical workplace.
- Perfecting processes. Like it or not, processes and paperwork are essential to the modern workplace. You can streamline and simplify processes like reserving space, placing work orders, checking in guests, and more with good facility management services.
- Technology integration. Modern technology can do incredible things for your business, no matter what field you’re in, and a facilities management service can seamlessly integrate this new technology with your current system.
- Team support. At its core, facilities management is about making work easier for you and your team. Make sure your facilities management service supports your team and helps balance their workload.
Facility Management vs Facility Management Services
These two phrases often appear together, but it’s important to understand the difference between them. Every company needs facility management at some level since facility management is what keeps a business running behind the scenes, but just because it exists doesn’t mean it’s effective or doing its job.
Dependable facility management services will guarantee that your facility management is running smoothly and making all your management goals possible. With a facility management service at the helm, you can be confident that all your management needs are being met without excessive stress or oversight.
What are Facility Management Services?
The first and most basic thing any business has to understand is what facility management services are. Facility management services cover a lot of ground, and all services and tools that support functionality, safety, and sustainability can fall under the umbrella of facility management services. In many ways, it’s easier to understand what facility management services are in terms of what they do. Facility management services can include all of the following broad categories:
- Facility improvement and maintenance. This includes physical elements like cleanliness but also involves emergency preparedness, safety compliances, and more. You can avoid fines and unpredictable obstacles by making sure your facilities are always maintained well.
- Seamless technology integration and adaptation. Your facility management service team can help you access the best of current technology and make sure it blends seamlessly with your current systems.
- Support the team and workplace by easing their workload. Your team will be able to focus on the work they were hired for while your facility management service handles the behind-the-scenes work.
Facility Management Service Tasks
Facility management services, or facility management, is a wide-reaching umbrella term that includes all kinds of services, including the following:
- Lease management.
- Employee experience.
- Building occupancy and space usage.
- Furniture and equipment.
- Emergency planning and handling.
- Waste disposal.
- Capital project planning.
- Real estate management.
Facility Management Service Duties
A significant part of the duties of facility management services involves training staff. This includes:
- How to react in an emergency. Depending on the location of your workplace, you may need to train your staff on tornados, fires, floods, severe storms, or intruders in the building. When you and your team are prepared for the physical realities of emergencies, you can eliminate a lot of potential stress before these eventualities have a chance to happen.
- Keeping your workplace in line with regulations. Having a service that is devoted to making sure you’re following all the necessary rules in your field can be a weight off your mind, and can also help you avoid fines, red tape, and unnecessary complications.
- Maintain a healthy workplace. Good office place health is more complex than making sure your team members aren’t sick. A facility management service will make sure your team members aren’t too closely crowded together in the workspace, that the air in your workplace is clean, and that surfaces and tools are regularly sanitized and cleaned.
Benefits of Facility Management Services
If your company has been working well without a facility management service, you might not see what’s so important about dependable facility management services. However, facility management services can make all kinds of important improvements to your business, including:
- Increased cost-effectiveness. A good facility management service can eliminate the number of outside services you need to hire and can save you time and money by improving the capabilities of your technology, preventing fines, and more.
- Health and safety requirements. Health and safety requirements are critical to keeping your business in good standing, and it can be difficult to make sure you’re always in good standing with those requirements without a professional team staying on top of these requirements.
- Maintain compliance. Health and safety requirements are vital, but there are dozens of other, more obscure compliance elements that your business needs to be aware of. Your facility management service will make sure your company has efficient waste management, emergency escape plans, disability policies, well-regulated parking spots, and more.
Technology & Facility Management Services
Technology and facility management services go hand in hand. One of the many benefits of facility management services is that if you’re using a good management service, they will keep your business abreast of current technologies, especially those that can help your organization get a leg up on the competition. Here are just a few of the technological advances and services that your facility management program can help you access:
- Mobile Room Scheduling. It’s the seemingly little things in business that add up. Scheduling meeting rooms is a minor task that can quickly become a significant headache if that scheduling ever gets mixed up or forgotten. The seemingly simple idea of using technology to schedule and book rooms can be a lifesaver for important, last-minute, or disorganized meetings. You’ll never have to worry about double-booking the best conference room or having nowhere for your board of directors to sit again.
- Smart room meetings. Another way facility management services can improve your staff meetings. With smart room technology, you’ll have access to a more advanced meeting space that offers increased interaction and engagement opportunities for your staff. This can be especially beneficial during the current trend of blended at home and in-office employees. A smart meeting room can make your whole team feel involved and included, regardless of whether they’re physically in the room or not. Look for companies like 360 Work Made Easy that can help you access mobile room scheduling and take advantage of room occupancy monitoring and more.
- Integrated Cleaning. There are all kinds of different factors that can play a role in integrated cleaning services. With an integrated cleaning service, you’ll be able to request work orders from personal devices and receive automatic updates for digital. You can take advantage of room availability markers, improved and modernized cleaning schedule, and enjoy the benefits of a well-developed management dashboard. Other facility management tasks like increasing the spacing between desks and making sure meeting rooms or break rooms don’t get overfull are another part of office cleanliness that your team will appreciate.It’s become increasingly clear over the past year that maintaining a clean and hygienic workplace is very important, both for your team members’ health and their peace of mind. Improving your cleaning schedule and implementing changes that maximize your use of office space can keep your team feeling healthy and improve productivity.
- Intuitive Wayfinding. The definition of intuitive wayfinding isn’t necessarily intuitive, particularly if you have no background in wayfinding. Fortunately, good facility management services can take charge of your wayfinding methods and make sure you’ve got all the right technology to make that wayfinding smooth and seamless. Before long, you’ll know the ins and outs of wayfinding and how they can benefit your business.
Intuitive, technology-driven wayfinding includes temperature scanning, virtual concierges, digital signage, room availability markers, or even just a straightforward dashboard for basic building navigation. Anything that helps your staff, visitors, customers, or clients find their way through your business is good wayfinding. Let technology (and your facility management service) make the process simpler!
The goal of good intuitive wayfinding is that any visitors to your business will be able to easily and effectively find their way around your physical location and understand exactly what is available to them. It can be fairly repetitive to explain your organization and its layout over and over to every new visitor, which is one reason why technology can be such a time-saver on these occasions. With reliable facility management services at the helm, intuitive wayfinding can provide accurate, friendly, and consistent information to your visitors while you and your team are free to continue the work that matters to you.
5 Reasons Why Every Business Should Use a Facility Management Company
If you’re unfamiliar with facility management services, it might not seem like a particularly pressing need for your business. However, there are so many benefits to high-quality facility management services that we think more businesses should know what they might be missing out on. We’ve put together five reasons why every business should use a facility management company to convince you!
- A More Flexible Workload. Good facility management services are dedicated to keeping things moving behind the scenes. Companies without facility management services at their disposal can get thrown off course when unexpected events arise, and frequently have to resort to tasking team members with jobs that aren’t part of their experience or typical workload. This can cause confusion, delays, and frustration. With a facility manager at the helm, you’ll always have a professional who knows what’s happening and can keep the technical aspects of your business running smoothly even during emergencies. No matter what obstacles might appear as you work, your facility management team can steer you through them while you stay focused on the big picture.
- Keep Specialists Working in their Specialties. As mentioned above, businesses without facility management services tend to shuffle their team members into different roles that their staff members haven’t specialized in. Even if these tasks seem relatively minor—like planning for emergencies, keeping track of paperwork, and making sure facilities are clean and available—these small jobs add up. They will eventually result in a lot of wasted time for your team, whose time could be better spent in their specialties. Why not allow specialists to work in their field by keeping your team focused on their priorities and allowing a professional facility management service to handle these other tasks?
- Save More Money! Without dependable facility management services, many businesses are left outsourcing several of their services. The cost of outsourcing services adds up quickly, especially if your business is utilizing multiple different companies; they’ll all come with their own costs, fees, and so on. When you have an in-house facility management service that you trust, your facility manager can handle all these tasks and drastically reduce your overhead. Your facility management service will also always be on the lookout for new tools and technologies that can reduce your workload and cut your costs. Taking advantage of new technology will not only save you money but can be an enticing reason for new customers to check out your services.
- Improved Services. When a facility management service is working properly, you’ll see a dramatic improvement in your services. Your facility management team will make sure your business has the optimal tools at its disposal, whether those tools are organizational, technical, or something in between. A facility management service will also streamline your paperwork and managerial processes, saving everyone’s time and eliminating potential headaches before they even have time to start. If you’re looking for a concrete way to offer better services to everyone involved in your business, a facility management service can help you get there in a practical way.
- Enjoy Innovation. Facility management services thrive on innovation and taking advantage of the benefits of new technology. Often, this technology is at risk of totally flying under the radar unless you’ve got a sharp-eyed facility management company on your side. 360 Work Made Easy’s occupancy monitoring is just one example of technology that you didn’t know you needed; your facility management service can make it infinitely easier for your organization to schedule workspace, monitor how your workspace is used, and maximize that space. Workplace technology is constantly evolving, so even if you aren’t sure you need occupancy monitoring, in particular, there’s definitely technology out there that can fit the specific needs of your business. No matter what technology you take advantage of, you’ll see streamlined work and increased productivity as a result!
Facility Management Services Case Studies
Facility management services make it possible for businesses and organizations of all kinds to streamline their processes, stay within the rules and regulations set for them, and maintain a high-functioning place of work all without breaking a sweat. Facility management options will automate services in the most effective way possible, so you and your team can focus on what matters most to you. In fact, facility management services are so diverse that they can help you and your team manage almost any kind of workplace task—even ones with life-altering effects—as we can see in the following examples.
At Union Health, an integrated health system in Indiana, facility management services made it possible to install and implement a unique new COVID disinfection system. With a combination of excellent facility management services and specialized LED fixtures, Union Health was able to implement a system where the air is drawn in through the LED fixtures and thoroughly irradiated and sanitized with UV light. This process can function without constant human supervision, which makes it an exceptional way to keep things clean at a microscopic level while the medical professionals continue their life-saving work.
UK Healthcare in Lexington, Kentucky, made an effort to contain COVID by using a high-tech new airflow management system. This system, regulated and facilitated by a top-of-the-line facility management service, cordoned off controlled areas of the hospital and used the airflow system to keep potentially contaminated air from mingling with other rooms and parts of the hospital. As a result of this high-tech, hands-off air control, hospital patients were kept safe without sacrificing unnecessary time or manpower.
We think that seeing facility management services in action is inspiring. Not only can top-of-the-line facility management services make the typical office function more smoothly, but they can have life-saving effects when used to their full potential. You might not need a facility management service to help control COVID in your workplace, but you’ll find that these services are just as effective at maintaining HVAC and air-conditioning systems as they are at COVID control. Whatever your workplace needs are, facility management services can help you satisfy them!
Tips on Choosing the Right Facility Management Company
With the right facility management company on your side, you’ll be able to streamline your workload in all kinds of ways. Facility management services can take care of everything from parking lot security to air cleanliness, and catering to air conditioning. But when you’re entrusting so many different and crucial services to an outside source, you want to be completely sure that the facility management company you choose is dependable, hardworking, and a good fit for your organization. How can you be sure you’re hiring the right one?
In order for a facility management company to really understand your company and its needs in-depth, you need to be able to succinctly and clearly explain those needs. Sit down with your team and answer the following questions:
- What are our short- and long-term goals as an organization?
- Which features of our organization need strengthening the most?
- Which features are our team least equipped to handle?
- Which features take up the most company time?
- Are there any features we don’t currently offer that could improve our organization?
Once you’ve answered these questions honestly, you’ll have a good idea for yourself of what would be most beneficial for you to receive from a facility management company. It also means that you’ll have a much better idea of whether the facility management companies you speak to are a good fit for your organization or not.
Self-reflection is great, but it’s just as important to ask questions of your potential facility management service providers. It can be very helpful to know the answers to the following questions before you commit to a provider:
- What Tools Do They Use? If a facility management service isn’t using the most up-to-date or effective tools, it can be a sign that they aren’t actively striving to be at the forefront of their field. Look for companies that can provide you with the best tools and technology available—it’s a good indicator that they’re passionate about their field and are constantly striving to improve.
- What is Their Cost/Quality Ratio? This is a standard question to ask before hiring any service—what are the costs, and what can you expect in return? Don’t blindly accept the first service you find. Instead, shop around. Find a company that fits within your budget, but don’t settle for a service that can’t meet your needs, so matter how affordable it is.
- What Are Their Specialties? Once you’ve determined what the priorities of your organization are, make sure any facility management company you choose is a good fit for those priorities. If the services you need seem to be an afterthought for a particular facility management company, it might not be the one for you.
What to Look for in a Good Facilities Management Company
Once you’ve established that you’re compatible with a given facility management company, make sure they’re a dependable organization as a whole. You’ll never regret hiring a facilities management company with the following traits:
- A Proven Track Record: Ask your facility management company what work they’ve done in the past. Look for innovative projects and positive relationships with their past employers. Companies that use current technology and tackle a range of different challenges will provide you with those same benefits.
- Transparency: Because facility management companies do so much to keep your organization working behind the scenes, you’ll want a company that’s completely upfront about its processes, timeframe, and expectations so you’re in the loop at all times.
- Diversity: It’s important to choose a company that can meet your specific needs, but it can also be very helpful to hire a company that offers a diversity of services. With a company that can take on a wide range of tasks, you’ll be able to expand your horizons and the capabilities of your organization with your facility management company on your side.
Takeaway – 360 Work Made Easy
Signing up for facility management services will help you stay flexible, specialize in what you’re passionate about, save money, improve your services, and constantly stay on the cutting edge of innovation.
You deserve a facility management company as distinct and hardworking as your own company. With so many facility management companies available to choose from, you should never feel as though you have to settle for a company that can’t fully meet all of your needs.
There’s a company out there that shares your priorities and can elevate your organization, and you’ll find it. With 360, we provide you the agile technology and services needed to adapt to the ever-changing needs of your end-users, supported by one easy-to-use dashboard to manage it all.
If you’re curious to learn more about strong facility management companies and what they can do for you, visit 360 Work Made Easy’s website. We believe we can offer a strong, diverse set of facility management skills for businesses and organizations of all kinds. Schedule an assessment today!